Friday 10 September 2010

Leaving for Pakistan

I am feeling more apprehensive than normal just before I begin the journey to Pakistan. I have my documents ready, bags are packed and I have done this many times before, so why the difference?

It isn't because the cover of a recent New Statesman described Pakistan as the world's most dangerous country - the Economist has a very similar cover story when I visited in January 2007 just after Benazir Bhutto had been killed.

The first few days will be full of meetings on the thorny issue of property. This is an issue that has dragged on for years as the Church of Scotland tries to ensure that the land it still legally owns in Pakistan is controlled, managed and developed for the benefit of the Christian community.

Land is always contentious and is at the centre of many disputes in Pakistan. We seem to be making a little progress on some very complex matters but a lot of the time I am way outside my comfort zone. Thankfully I have great support from colleagues in Scotland and Pakistan but there are difficult issues to deal with and some people oppose some of the changes we are trying to implement.

Looming above the situation is Pastor Terry Jones' threat to burn copies of the Koran on Saturday, anniversary of 9/11 tragedy and in the middle of Eid ul Fitr, the feast that marks the end of Ramadan, the month when Muslims fast. This has rightly been condemned by right-thinking people around the world, including the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/news/nr520910.htm

I have received two messages from Pakistan - one, a report and photographs of a protest by Pakistani Christians against Pastor Jones and another advising me not to go to church on Sunday in case there are protests against the Pakistani Christian community.

The thought of not being able to worship with Christian brothers and sisters - something I always enjoy when I visit partner churches - is disappointing and hurtful. Does Pastor Jones realise what the consequence of his actions could be for millions of Christians in the Muslim world?

And how can we show solidarity with Christians in places like Pakistan and also demonstrate to Muslims that Pastor Jones does not represent the views of Christians or Westerners?